The Litchfield Community Church Presbyterian has roots that go back to the founding of the community. When the Massachusetts Bay Colony granted the town a charter in 1734, one of the requirements was that, “the town must settle a minister and build a meeting house.” The original meeting house was completed in 1736 and served as a town hall as well as a church until 1844. In that year the present building was built. It was not until 1974 that the building was elevated, and a parish hall, modern kitchen, and rest rooms were constructed in the basement level. A minister’s study and conference room were added to the rear of the building on the ground level.